To the many bridge lovers far and wide who donated time, talents and treasure, a hearty thank you for a job well done!
Originally constructed in 1906 by the Joliet Bridge and Iron Company, the bridge is one of only two remaining of its kind in the greater Chicagoland area. Grass roots efforts for historic preservation and national recognition were rekindled early in 2017 when some local officials questioned the historic value of the one-lane bridge and favored a plan that would require removal of the current structure and increase truck and auto traffic through the pedestrian friendly downtown. In April of 2017, Landmarks Illinois, named the bridge to their annual “List of Endangered Historic Places.” A change.org petition urging local officials to save the historic bridge gathered over 5,000 signatures/testimonials and a fund-raising campaign raised over $50,000 in monetary donations and pledges. An application was researched and prepared for the National Park Service, and in June of 2018 it was officially listed on the National Register of Historic Places. That same month, the bridge was severely damaged by an oversize truck.